Jan 16, 2011

Rear Wiper Motor - Replacement

 So when I bought my Forester the rear window wiper was not working.  They previous owner stated that 'it just stopped working'.  This was not a critical repair but was annoying and needed to get done eventually.  I saved up a bit of cash for a new wiper motor but before I ordered it I wanted to make sure the motor was the problem and not just a seized bearing in the wiper shaft.  I researched the problem on YouTube and only found one video that was useful (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgfhjisaIZ4).  
After watching this I decided to take my back hatch apart and figure out what the problem was.  Getting to the rear wiper motor was easy, I just had to remove a few plastic plugs and snap the plastic shroud off and there is was.  I took it apart and tested the motor and it seemed to be dead. I had some of the local junk yards look to see if they might have a used rear wiper motor, everything that they had was seized, so I ordered a new one.  

The hardest part of this job was getting the wiper arm off of the wiper post.  It was 'rusted' or 'corroded' to the post and I had to get a special wiper arm removal tool to pop it off.
 
The wiper motor can be purchased in a variety of places, locally I was quoted about $220 for a rebuilt motor.  New from Subaru was going to cost even more so I went online and found this website that offered Subaru parts a great prices (http://www.subarupartsdepot.com/).  The brand new motor cost me $160 plus a bit for duty to cross the border.  It took about three weeks to arrive, but it came in a Subaru box and worked perfectly. 

I made a short video and posted it to YouTube for anyone who has this problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment