Jan 18, 2011

Engine Belts - AC, Power Steering and Timing Belts

The AC belt and assemble needs to be removed to get to the timing belt below.

Having done pretty much all of the preventive maintenance possible to my Forester I thought it was time to have the belts replaced.  I checked the alternator and power steering belts to discover they had small cracks and were worn out.  These belts are in front of the timing belt and need to be removed to replace the timing belt so I figured it was old too.  I had the mechanics change them all for me and it cost $230 (timing = $169, alt = $30, pwrstr = $33) in parts and $150 labour (2.2hrs).  While these belts might have lasted another 10000 - 100000 kms I didn't want to chance it.  Now the belts are done I hope all I have to do to maintain the car is change the oil every 5000km.
The timing belt assembly

No comments:

Post a Comment