Jan 13, 2011

Prevenative Maintenance - Transmission fluid and filter change

After getting to drive the forester for a few weeks I thought that it would be good to get some preventive maintenance done.  I went to a local transmission shop that my mechanic recommended and booked an appointment to get the trans fluid change and the filter replaced.  I felt like this is an easy job, but it was winter and I certainly didn't want to do it and some things are best left to the professional mechanics. The mechanic said that it looked like the trans fluid had never been changed as the cover was sealed with subaru's original pink silicone.  He also said that there was a lot of little bits of metal in there as well, nothing to be worried about since it had never been cleaned before.  The shop was great, they let me sit in the waiting room and grade paper while I waited.  It only took about an hour and it was done cost about $250. 


Legend for the Transmission Diagram
   
This is a part of the transmission that shows the drain area.           

No comments:

Post a Comment