Jan 10, 2011

Owning a Used Subaru

So I like to buy old cars, fix them and keep them running for as long as I can.  Recently I sold my 4x4 truck and bought a 1999 Subaru Forester.  I found the car on Kijiji in Saint John, NB for only $1500 bucks.  I went down within a day of finding the ad, test drove it with my girlfriend and bought it.  It came with some problems but for the price I hoped that it was going to work out.
Here's a list of what I knew was wrong with it when I bought it:

This is my 99 Forester, I added the bumper stickers.
1. Muffler - the midsection of the muffler pipe was broken and really loud!
2. Rear Wiper - didn't work
3. Check Engine Light - was on, previous owner said it was on the whole time he owned it.
4. Radiator Fluid - was down, none in reservoir.
5. Fog Lights Missing - the lights were removed and bumber was damaged.
6. Some Dents and Scratches - three large dens, a couple of scraps and a few tiny rust spots.

Here's what I knew was right about the car when I bought it.
1. The car had been rust checked for many of the initial years of ownership and body was in good shape.
2. The engine didn't smoke and it worked well and started easily.
3. The engine was original and only had 206 000kms on it.
4. Two new rear all-season tires.

Here's what I found out was wrong with it after the mechanic inspected it.
1. The rear drivers side wheel bearing need to be replaced ($90 parts + $240 labour)

No comments:

Post a Comment