Jan 22, 2011

Forester Blower Fan Removal and Inspection

Yesterday on the way home during a snow storm my blower fan started making some noise.  I was concerned that maybe there was a mouse nest in there because they like to build them next to the heater.  I figured it was just some ice or something that got in there somehow but I decided to take it apart anyway just to check.  I also wanted to know if my model had a cabin air filter or not.  In the repair manual it says to take the glove box out and then remove the blower unit but you don't have to.


There are only three screws holding it in and all you have to do is disconnect the aspirator, remove the screws and then disconnect the power supply.  This only took me about 5 minutes and required a two Phillips screwdrivers, a long one and a stubby for the back screw.  Once I got the motor out, it inspected it and only found a piece of a leaf and a pine needle. There was a bit of ice in the base of the squirrel cage but nothing else.  It spun fine and there was nothing obstructing the heater of any other part of the ventilation areas that I could see and reach, no mouse nest (phew).  So I reconnect the power and reinstalled the motor turned the car on and everything was fine.  I also took the glove box off too just to see if I had an air filter and I did not so I did both of these things for nothing other than learning.

I made a little movie of the process for anyone who want to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=317W3aBCtxk



2 comments:

  1. For ALL of your air ventilation requirements Air pollution control system , blower fan, extractor fans, spray painting booths, kitchen exhaust fan, industrial ducting, and paint booth http: www.ventilationandfiltration.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliantly composed article, if just all bloggers offered the same substance as you, the web would be an obviously better place.. hvac repair services ftstewart

    ReplyDelete